Sep 22, 2010

August 6 - Online Dating and Stuff

My dear friend Shannyn, who lives in Amanzimtoti where we went on holiday, just registered me on a dating site! South African Cupid.com or something of the sort. I can't believe it, I'm ... I'm. ... What am I?! Annoyed. Curious. Freaked out. Shocked. I have never been on a dating site before! Seems like nice people are registered there though. Maybe I'll meet some nice people?
I hope so. I'm so scared I come across a freak or something. Well, maybe not a freak, just someone I obviously wouldn't want in my life. I have my standards okay?!

I met a guy through the evil that is Facebook. He apparently found me on an application called Zingles. He's not the only one. I tried searching for it - Not Found. Weird? I think so. Yesterday, we finally chatted for the first time since introducing ourselves. Turns out he just got out of prison in February, where he spent 2 years for his 5 year heroin addiction. Now, he's living with his boss and his boss' girlfriend, working from home selling timeshare for holiday accommodation. Strange much? I reckon.

I'm not sure what to do with that over shared information. He seems like a nice enough guy but there's something mentally not okay with him. The way he talks to me is... for a lack of a better description - Strange. Weird. Annoying. He's a full 8 years older than I am but I don't see it like that at all. He doesn't seem grown-up and responsible. He seems socially awkward and dysfunctional. He seems lonely and frustrated. He seems desperate. All qualities that don't appeal to me. And never will.
Am I a mean person? Should I just give him a chance and go out for drinks and get to know him IRL? I don't know. It makes me uncomfortable just thinking about it. That can't be good.

Another guy who also found me on 'Zingles' seems real nice and I can have a decent conversation with him. He works as a driving license instructor and has his mom living him him. Or so he says. He also seems socially awkward and dysfunctional. He seems lonely and frustrated. He seems desperate. Do I attract them like magnets somehow?! I don't get it.

My standards are high. I don't see that as a bad thing.

UPDATE: SouthAfricanCupid.com is up to sh!t according to me and I have since deleted that profile and gone to OkCupid.com, a site that has pleasantly surprised me for the most part. I actually have a get-to-know-each-other date tomorrow night (5 Oct) already, and have met some interesting people.

No comments: