Jan 26, 2011

Mountains & Molehills

I am endlessly frustrated by people who make mountains out of molehills.  I cannot stand it.  So much so that I would throw you out the second story window of my office if you even attempt it with me.  But then again... I can't exactly do that with my boss can I?  Yeah, I don't think that would end well.

I was never allowed to make mountains out of molehills.  I was raised this way.  It's what I know and what I've accepted.  The words "It's not that bad, really!" and "Build a bridge already!" were common phrases growing up.  I never took it up in a bad way though.  It was just one of those things.  Bumped your toe?  "It's not that bad!  We'll just buy a new one at Pep!".  When I was small, I'd get so ticked off I'd forget about the pain.  It worked, didn't it?  When I had issues or I was a whiny cry-baby I'd get the "Build a bridge and get over it" one.  And guess what - I did.  I learned to deal with petty issues in an adult way.  Most things in life are not as big a deal as people make it out to be.

Yes, of course I get my moments.  Like everybody else.  But with that, I get over it faster than some.  Either that or I make you think I get over it fast.  I don't easily hold grudges and I don't easily stay pissed off for very long because, unfortunately, most people don't even realize when they piss me off so I don't stay angry for very long.  I build a bridge and get over it, albeit not always a sturdy bridge, but a bridge nonetheless.  At least there is one.

Some other people I know, like the boss, doesn't quite grasp this concept.

He thinks it is absolutely the end of the world if everything doesn't go according to plan.  According to schedule.  A schedule, by the way, that he dreams up on his own.  I am doing him a favor, helping out with a breakfast for clients of ours, at our offices/warehouse.  Now, for one, we are not even closely set up for a breakfast with clients.  We have nothing in order.  We don't have enough cutlery, crockery or even glasses to entertain our clients.  Am I bringing some from home to fill it up?  Urrrmmmm NO.  Think again boss-man.  And how do you think we fry the bacon and the sausages and do the eggs and toast without a stove and pans etc?  Oh no, but you and your co-worker can bring your electronic grilling pans from home, oh and also some pretty glass bowls with lids to make it presentable for everyone to dish up from.  Really?  Is that so?  Interesting.  Okay, fine then.  I'll do you the favor and bring all this from home.  But do keep in mind that it all belongs to my mother.  Not me.  I don't call the shots.  (My mother almost refused just 'coz he's an A-hole.)

What happens?  I forget to bring it the day before the breakfast.  OMG the place is going to fall to ruins and the clients are going to hate us?!  I'm not kidding.  It's a big deal to him.  I have plenty of time to bring it from home during the day before the breakfast, as well as the morning of the breakfast.  Why?  Because it doesn't change the outcome of the food whether or not the thing stands here overnight or not!  And by the way - I'm doing you a favor!

I'm not upset, I'm just blown away.  And the best is - he's blown away that I am as calm as a cloud of cannabis smoke.  (What an expression.. haha!)  It's not a big deal.  I promise you it's not.  I arranged the end-year function all on my own, did you complain?  No you didn't.  You were impressed.  So just calm down and let the woman handle it.  This woman.  Me.  Again.  Not the manager and the co-worker helping like they were supposed to.  Just me.  They're helping to cook the breakfast though.  I'll have nothing less.

Do you tend to blow things up in general?  I hope not.  But please, don't think I tried to offend anyone with this post.  I'm just not like that.  That's all.

No comments: