May 6, 2012

Keeping my last name when I (ever) get married...


I read another article about The Frisky journalist who took his wife's last name.  And you know what?  WOW!  I think it's awesome!  "Tradition" states that the woman must take the man's last name when they get married, and yes, it's great and all and most women just can't wait to be Mrs. Whatever.  But really?  I don't care much for it.  It might be because I just love my own surname that much, or it might be because of the heritage behind my own last name.  I don't have my father's last name (Thank goodness for that!), I have my grandfather's last name, my Mother's maiden name.  And I'm super grateful for that.  My Grandfather, if you don't know already, was practically my Hero growing up, him and the rest of my family of course, but he was the head of the household and I guess you could say that I base my man-choices on him, like any daughter would with her father.  I don't care much for my father.  But my Grandfather is the ultimate, and his last name is super important to me.

The best thing is, Gerhard doesn't mind.  I mean I would never force him to take my last name, but in the same breath he wouldn't force me to take his.  I don't mind that my kids take my husband's last name one day, I mean that's to be expected, they will be his legacy as well at the end of the day.  But do I have to?  I don't think so.  I mean for what?  To go through the motions of changing every bloody document on my name just so my surname can change?  Seriously overrated if you ask me.

What do you think about changing a last name when it comes to marriage?  If you're a guy, would you mind if your wife keeps her last name?  Or would you be deeply offended?  And ladies, what is your take on this?  How do you feel about it?

Would love to hear what you think.

No comments: